If you do not see a particular word or phrase that you would like to know the definition of, please let us know by writing to MaryJo.Nott@sourcemedia.com and indicate the term you would like us to add to the Glossary.
- Universal description, discovery and integration (UDDI) is a an online directory that gives businesses and organizations a uniform way to describe their services, discover other companies' services and understand the methods required to conduct business with a specific company.
- Undo and rollback mean essentially the same: To rollback or undo a transaction prior to a commit of that transaction. (RDB term)
- Unit of Work Consolidation
- The process of consolidating multiple updates to a single row image into a single update.
- Unplanned Downtime
- Unanticipated, duration-variable loss of computing-system usage due to natural disasters, power outages, hardware or software failures, and human error/intervention.
- Unstructured Data
- Any document, file, image, report, form, etc. that has no defined, standard structure that would enable convenient storage in automated processing devices; it cannot be defined in terms of rows and columns or records, and the data cannot be examined with standard access.
"Unstructured data is email, spreadsheets, documents and so forth. Some of the most valuable information in the corporation resides in unstructured data." - Bill Inmon
- Not allowed in a data warehouse.
- Uniform Resource Locator. The URL is the path information
in an HTML coded source file used to locate another
document or image. The format for the URL is scheme://host-
- User datagram protocol is a connectionless protocol that runs on top of IP networks.
* definition provided by Hyperion.