If you do not see a particular word or phrase that you would like to know the definition of, please let us know by writing to MaryJo.Nott@sourcemedia.com and indicate the term you would like us to add to the Glossary.
- Tactical Data Warehouse Development
- The process of selecting a portion of an enterprise and implementing a data warehouse. The process includes constructing a data model for the area, determining the data warehouse architecture, constructing the physical model, and populating the warehouse database. It also includes creating or buying the applications to access the data warehouse, prototyping the tactical warehouses (access definitions, views, etc.) and incorporating end-user feedback.
- There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch! In developing a data warehouse, there is work involved, and there is no "free lunch."
- Target Database
- The database in which data will be loaded or inserted.
- Technical Architecture
- One of the four layers of the information systems architecture. The technical architecture defines and describes the interfaces, parameters and protocols used by the product and systems architecture.
- A terminal emulation program for TCP/IP networks such as the Internet.
- Tool Encyclopedias
- Encyclopedias, repositories or dictionaries used by application development tools. The non-definable "repository" used by a tool.
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
- The cost to own a product throughout its life.*
- Transaction Activity Data
- Transaction activity data represents the transactions that operational systems are designed to automate.
- Transaction Audit Data
- Transaction audit data tracks the progress of an individual transaction, such as Web logs and database logs.
- Transactional System
- An information system designed to store and record day-to-day business information, often structured around events, business processes or business activities. These systems are optimized for storing large volumes of data, but not for analyzing that data.*
- Rules applied to change data.
- Triggering Data
- Data that selects and loads data on a scheduled basis
* definition provided by Hyperion.