If you do not see a particular word or phrase that you would like to know the definition of, please let us know by writing to MaryJo.Nott@sourcemedia.com and indicate the term you would like us to add to the Glossary.
- The ability for a single definition to maintain information about multiple physical instantiations.
- Vertical Partitioning
- Vertical partitioning divides a single logical table into
multiple physical tables based on the columns. All rows may
appear in the new tables, but each new table contains a
subset of the original table's columns. The set of columns
may be redundant across tables, and will necessarily be so
for the columns that implement keys and indexes. Columns
for row-level metadata are also implemented in all
resultant tables. Vertical partitioning is employed when
there is a regular need to access or to isolate a readily
identifiable subset of the "parent" table's columns. This
technique may be effective to meet security, distribution,
and usability requirements.
- Visibility is seeing what is coming to know if and when change is needed.
- An acronym for Virtually Integrated Technical Architecture Lifecycle.
- VITAL Compliance
- Conformance to the design objectives and principles, distributed computing styles, development approaches, standards, and data-distribution and access techniques; functional compatibility with the VITAL technical architecture.
- Very Large Databases.
- Targeted vertical portals that are aimed at specific
interest groups and focus on providing consumers with a
gateway to information from other sources.
* definition provided by Hyperion.