What parameters should be considered to compare the top five ETL tools?
||Ask The Experts published in DMReview.com
December 12, 2005
- I want to compare the top five ETL tools. What parameters should be considered?
Sid Adelman's Answer:
- You should consider the following:
- Ease of use - some ETL tools are far more difficult than others, consider the learning curve.
- Support - How well the vendor responds when you have problems.
- Cost - Some of these products are expensive.
- Performance - This is especially important if you have large databases.
- Vendor stability - Will the vendor be around in 2007?
- Availability of training.
- Availability of experienced ETL jockeys to hire.
- Availability of experienced ETL consultants.
- Metadata capability of the ETL tool (if you are planning to use the ETL metadata repository).
- Metadata interfaces with your other tools (BI and modeling) that produce and use metadata.
For more information on related topics visit the following related portals...
Sid Adelman is a principal in Sid Adelman & Associates, an organization specializing in planning and implementing data warehouses, in data warehouse and BI assessments, and in establishing effective data architectures and strategies. He is a regular speaker at DW conferences. Adelman chairs the "Ask the Experts" column on www.dmreview.com. He is a frequent contributor to journals that focus on data warehousing. He co-authored Data Warehouse Project Management and is the principal author on Impossible Data Warehouse Situations with Solutions from the Experts. His new book, Data Strategy, is scheduled for publication this year. He can be reached at 818-783-9634 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit his Web site at www.sidadelman.com.
Provided by IndustryBrains
|Design Databases with ER/Studio: Free Trial|
ER/Studio delivers next-generation data modeling. Multiple, distinct physical models based on a single logical model give you the tools you need to manage complex database environments and critical metadata in an intuitive user interface.
|dotDefender protects sites against Web attacks|
30-day evaluation period for dotDefender, a high-end cost-effective security solution for web servers that protects against a broad range of attacks, is now available. dotdefender supports Apache, IIS and iPlanet Web servers and all Linux OS's.
|Verify Data at the Point of Collection: Free Trial|
Protect against fraud, waste and excess marketing costs by cleaning your customer database of inaccurate, incomplete or undeliverable addresses. Add on phone check, name parsing and geo-coding as needed. FREE trial of Data Quality dev tools here.
|Integrated Revenue Management Software|
Maximize, protect, produce and analyze revenue by consolidating customer data from multiple disparate sources across the enterprise and associating it with real-time operational data for a complete and unique view of your customers and business.
|Data Mining: Levels I, II & III|
Learn how experts build and deploy predictive models by attending The Modeling Agency's vendor-neutral courses. Leverage valuable information hidden within your data through predictive analytics. Click through to view upcoming events.
|Click here to advertise in this space|